..:: Introduction ::..
One motherboard manufacturer that has yet to release any type of motherboard with an nForce2 chipset is Soyo Computer. As a result, Soyo is one of the only manufacturers to make their flagship motherboard for K7 processors based on the VIA KT600 chipset. Their result is dubbed the Soyo KT600 Dragon Ultra Platinum.
After we saw what Soyo’s i875P Dragon2 could offer for Intel users, it sure was exciting to hear that their latest K7 motherboard was going to land in our labs for a thorough review. Although the pre-release sample that Soyo sent us is not of the actual retail product, we’ve had the pleasure of torturing the board our test bench for over a month. The KT600 Platinum has showed us some things that we think other motherboard manufacturers should start to follow, as well as some to avoid. Let’s get started by taking a look at the specifications below.
..:: KT600 DRAGON Ultra Specifications ::..
- Socket A for AMD Athlon XP/Athlon/Duron
- 400/333/266/200MHz FSB
- VIA KT600 Northbridge
- VIA VT8237 Southbridge
- Broadcom BCM5705K Gigabit LAN
- CMI 8738 6-channel Audio CODEC
- 8x USB 2.0 ports (VT8237 built-in)
- 3 x IEEE1394 FireWire ports (VIA VT6306)
- Silicon Image Sil3112A RAID
- 3 x DDR DIMM Sockets
- Max. 3GB unbuffered PC3200/PC2700/PC2100/PC1600
- 1 x AGP 8X
- 5 x PCI
- 2 x UDMA/133/100/66
- 1 x FDD
- 2 x SATA IDE/RAID (VT8237 built-in)
- 2 x SATA IDE/RAID (Silicon Image Sil3112A)
- Anti-Burn Regulator (Thermal Shutdown Protection)/li>
- Box with Front Panel CMOS Reset Button, Diagnostic LED, Card Reader
Back Panel I/O Ports
- 1 x Parallel, 2 x Serial
- 1 x PS/2 Keyboard, 1 x PS/2 Mouse
- 1 x Audio I/O (Line In, Line Out, Mic In)
- 1 x IEEE1394, 1 x RJ-45 Port
- 4 x USB 2.0, 1 x RJ-45 Port
- 2MB Phoenix-Award BIOS
- CPU/AGP/DDR Voltage Adjustments
- CPU/AGP/DDR/PCI Clock Adjustments